Seeking Data Analyst for Open Land Data Project in Senegal
LAND PORTAL FOUNDATION
Open Up Guide for Land Governance Implementation Project
Send applications by 29 October 2021
About the Land Portal
The Land Portal exists to nurture a vibrant online platform to inform and engage with partners, promoting open data and the sharing of best practices and stimulating debate and collaboration both on and offline. We believe data and information are powerful tools for achieving our vision of a land governance system that benefits those with the most insecure land rights and the greatest vulnerability to landlessness. Raising awareness of “open data” – and the critical role it plays in realising tenure security for individuals and communities around the world – continues to be our greatest challenge.
Job Description and Background
The Land Portal Foundation and the Open Data Charter seek a consultant to support the implementation of the Open Up Guide for Land Governance and to develop a SOLI report for Senegal. We expect qualified applicants to be familiar with both reports at time of interview. The Consultant should be fluent in French and English.
In 2019 the Land Portal developed the methodology for uncovering the State of Land Information (SOLI) on a country level. The SOLI seeks to provide an overview of publicly available data and information on key land issues from government and other stakeholders in targeted countries.
In 2021 the Land Portal together with the Open Data Charter developed and launched the Open Up Guide on Land Governance. It is a practical resource to be used by governments from developing countries to publish land-related data to improve data quality, availability, accessibility and use for improved citizen engagement, decision making and innovation.
Principal Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Develop a land data inventory analysing the availability and accessibility of land related data in Senegal. Evaluate the level of openness of datasets related to the Open Up Guide.
- Establish a virtual technical help desk to develop capacity and support the process of sharing and publishing data based on the action plan.
- Support desk research to map and assess the state of land data and information as well as stakeholders.
- Provide input to the national/local prioritisation workshops.
- Develop a short and mid-term data action plan for technical capacities and resources needed for publishing data
- Provide input to the final report containing all country implementations describing lessons learned, identified use cases and promising actions that can be shared with other governments;
- Improve the Open Up Guide based on learnings and findings from the implementation to ensure the tool is informed by practical advice and fits to diverse contexts.
- Participate in the bi-weekly exchange calls organized by the Land Information Management and Advocacy Consultant to share updates and experiences and discuss progress.
The Open Land Data Management Consultant will report to the Land Information Management and Advocacy Consultant. For some of the communications & engagement related tasks s/he might be asked to coordinate with the Communications Specialist.
This consultancy is expected to start as soon as possible and be completed over a period of seven months, or as agreed between the Consultant and the Land Portal Foundation. The Consultant will be working remotely.
Please submit by 29 October 2021 your resume and cover letter detailing your experience specific to open data, land data, Senegal, and/or the required tasks and responsibilities to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include Data Analyst Consultant for Senegal in the subject line. We will reach out to qualified applicants for an interview, at which time we expect you to be familiar with both the SOLI report and the Open Up Guide.