Aid in Support of Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment (pdf, 1.5MB) published in March 2011, presents statistics on aid from DAC members to sectors focused on gender equality and women’s empowerment for the period 2008-2009.
The Global Donor Platform OECD focal point, Karim Hussein, points out that page 5 of this new publication reviews agriculture and rural development and interestingly showed that only 5% of DAC donor aid for agricultural inputs had a gender equality focus.
- Aid committed by DAC members to gender equality and women's empowerment in the economic and productive sectors amounted to USD 4.6 billion on average per year in 2007‐08. This represents one‐fifth of total aid in these sectors.
- A small share of these USD 4.6 billion targeted gender equality or women's empowerment as the main ("principal") objective (2%).
- Lower priority was given to gender equality in the economic and productive sectors than in all sectors combined.
- Much of the aid targeting gender equality in the economic and productive sectors was allocated to agriculture/rural development (42%).
- There is scope for increasing investments in women's economic empowerment, in particular in the sectors of transport, energy, trade and employment.
Authors and Publishers
Wikigender is your online wiki to facilitate the exchange and improve the knowledge on gender-related issues around the world. Users are invited to comment on or improve existing articles, and to create or upload new documents.