Skip to main content
Map of India

India

Land is an important source of identity, symbol of social status and foundation for rural power in India, often carrying significant emotional attachment. With a long history, diverse geography and pluralistic culture, land governance has evolved in India through communal, imperial, feudal, colonial and modern systems, gradually moving towards individualization and conclusive titling.

Socio-economic indicators browse all

More on this country

News Browse all

Bridge in disputed territory between China and India sparks concern

13 May 2022

Some local Tibetans say they are worried about Chinese soldiers in their area. (Main photo: A view of Pangong Lake on the border with India and China, April 24, 2022.) A bridge being built by China across Pangong Lake in a disputed section of northwest India could further inflame tensions between…

'38-Year-Long Wait Over Today': CM Yogi Gives Land To 63 Hindu Families Displaced From Bangladesh

19 April 2022

Each family was given two acres for agriculture purposes, a residential plot measuring 200 sq metres and a house in Kanpur Dehat district. Main photo: UP CM distributes approval letter for land lease for rehabilitation of 63 Hindu families (Photo: PTI) New Delhi: The Uttar Pradesh government on…

Decoding Centre’s bid to amend Delhi’s land pooling policy

22 March 2022

A key provision of the proposed amendment is that once the minimum threshold of 70% voluntary land pooling is achieved in a sector, it will be mandatory for the owners of the remaining 30% land to pool in their land. main photo: Delhi’s land pooling policy is aimed at meeting its growing housing…

India

projects

Blogs Browse all
Mozambique

Groundbreakers: Women overcome bias and lead sustainable use of land and resources

8 March 2022

In many countries men control who gets to use, own, and make decisions about land. “We used to stay in a corner, quiet. If someone came to take our land or exploit our forests, we did not have the courage to try to stop them.” These words from a woman in Mecoburi, Mozambique reflect how women…

Events Browse all
Webinar on Building an Information Ecosystem in India

Webinar: Building a Land Information Ecosystem in India

Join us for a webinar: Building a Land Information Ecosystem in India Date: Thursday, February 20th, 2020 Time: 14:00-15:30 / 9:00-10:30 CET   Join us for a webinar co-hosted by the Center for Policy Research (CPR), the Land Portal Foundation, the NRMC Center for Land Governance, Omidyar Network…