The Rights and Resources Initiative (RRI) is a global coalition that supports the developing world’s Indigenous Peoples and local communities to secure their rights to own, control and benefit from the natural resources they have depended on for generations.
RRI’s Latin America Program fosters cooperation among Collaborator organizations in the region to carry out effective advocacy strategies and influence decision makers to prevent negative impacts on forests and collective rights, as well as operate as a unified front to voice their need for secure land rights on national and international stages. The Latin America Program is looking for a creative and passionate intern who will be closely involved in the program, learning about RRI’s work on indigenous rights to land and natural resource rights.
The individual will work closely with and report directly to the Director of the Latin America Program, as well as work in coordination with the Senior Associate for Latin America Program. He/she will actively contribute to the program’s strategy including communications, outreach, translations and administration as well as ongoing correspondence with organizations in the region.
This is a part-time (20 hours per week), paid internship based in Georgetown, Washington DC.
- Assist the Latin America Program with communications and outreach.
- Assist the liaison with Communications & Outreach staff to ensure key Latin America information and success stories are readily available on RRI’s website and through social media.
- Assist to craft, post, and maintain event pages, news blogs, and web pages.
- Assist with the annual planning meetings in Latin America and program book preparation.
- Support coordination and preparation of Peru and Colombia planning meeting for 2017.
- Assist in preparing documentation and relevant information for the Partners, Collaborators and key actors attending the planning meetings in Latin America.
- Assist in the preparation of the Latin America section of RRI’s work plan for 2017.
- Assist in all stages of event planning of the Latin America 2016 strategy
- Support coordination and preparation for international events held Latin America in coordination with the Latin America Senior Associate, Partners, and Collaborators.
- Assist as a point of contact for event participants, engaging participants at all stages from invitation to post-event follow-up.
- Provide written translation from Spanish to English and vice versa.
- Assist in the translation of key information of the country planning 2017.
- Assist in summarizing documents and reports in Spanish and English and vice versa.
- Assist in drafting, translating, and editing brief documents on tenure rights, REDD+, forestry, gender, sustainable enterprises, and related themes, as requested.
- Assist Latin America program with specific research and projects as needed.
- Assist with background research for the development of new regional strategies.
- Assist with research for specific regional activities as assigned by the Program Director.
- Assist in the preparation and documentation of the analysis of Strategic Response Mechanism (SRM) proposals.
- Assist with monitoring and evaluation of the Latin America program strategy.
- Assist in reviewing reports from Partners and Collaborators in the region on the implementation of the strategy.
- Write short summaries of Partners and Collaborators reports.
- Professional fluency writing and speaking in Spanish is required.
- Working ability in Microsoft Word
- Flexibility to work independently in a highly dynamic environment while ensuring that established deadlines are met on a wide variety of tasks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management capability
- A professional, collegial, and cheerful demeanor
- Ability to take initiative and demonstrate responsibility and interest as an integral part of Latin America team
- Ability to work with people in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
Please send a resume, cover letter and short (1-2 pages maximum) writing sample to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted immediately and interviews conducted on a rolling basis, beginning immediately. The subject line of the email must read: “Latin America Intern.”
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Rights and Resources Group is a non-profit organization that serves as the coordinating mechanism for the Rights and Resources Initiative, a global coalition to advance forest tenure, policy and market reforms. Rights and Resources Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.