ABOUT TRANSPARENCY INTERNATIONAL
Transparency International is a global movement with one vision: a world in which government, business, civil society and the daily lives of people are free of corruption. With more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, we are leading the fight against corruption to turn this vision into reality.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S) is currently seeking a Land Governance Thematic Specialist to join the Land and Corruption in Sub-Saharan Africa Phase II (LCA II) project and contribute to the implementation of a four-year project in Africa to tackle the issue of land corruption.
The LCA II (2021-2025) project builds on the solid foundation of knowledge, networks and learnings acquired from the implementation of the previous Land and Corruption in Africa project (2015-2019). TI-S and its chapters in Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Madagascar, and Cameroon will implement this project leveraging relevant expertise and networks acquired during LCA I in the target countries to expand and amplify impact in this new project phase. The goal of this new project is to ensure that corrupt practices in land administration and land deals are addressed contributing to improved livelihoods. Specifically, the project will contribute to ensuring that 1) networks of citizens in Africa are better equipped and mobilised to demand transparency and accountability in the land sector; 2) a diverse and inclusive set of stakeholders from civil society to private sector advance anti-corruption initiatives to promote fair and transparent land governance; and 3) national and local decision-makers adopt anti-corruption laws, policies and measures to prevent and redress corruption in land distribution, acquisition, dispute management and sanctions.
A full-time Land Governance Thematic Specialist is needed to support the implementation of regional activities. Specifically, this will involve supporting project design and implementation, identifying, and leading on partnerships, supporting the rollout of the global and regional project advocacy strategy, and generating evidence on the linkages between corruption and land in Sub-Saharan Africa and beyond.
OVERVIEW OF KEY DIMENSIONS
Role Purpose: The Land Governance Thematic Specialist will provide expertise on the topic of land governance in the LCA II project, supporting project design and implementation, identifying and leading on partnerships, supporting the rollout of the global and regional project advocacy strategy, and generating evidence on the linkages between corruption and land in Sub-Saharan Africa and beyond.
Team: Projects Team
Reporting Line: Head of Projects
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Contract Duration: Currently we can offer an employment contract until December 31, 2025
Working Hours: full time [100%; 40 hours per week]
Location: Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin/Germany
Job ID: TIS-LGTS-0722
MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE ROLE
- Support strategic planning for the LCA II project, identifying activities, potential partnerships, advocacy opportunities and areas of research and knowledge creation that contribute to project outcomes.
- Support the development and implementation of the project global and regional strategic advocacy action plan and a communications strategy.
- Lead on the creation of original materials in the area of land corruption, including the production of research briefs, scoping papers, policy positions, as needed; and utilize these materials for the development of relevant outputs.
- Coordinate the organization of/organize institutional events/meetings, including preparing documentation before and after events.
- Represent the organization at relevant fora within area of expertise. Build relationships and form alliances with external counterparts, communities of practice and stakeholders with the international land governance community.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of plans/strategies/tools related to land governance and corruption, ensuring they meet organizational objectives and project outcomes.
- Support the implementation of regional and cross-country activities including the constitution of cross-country thematic working groups and a community of practice on national and regional advocacy.
- Stay abreast of developments relating to the area of work and be available to respond to on-demand internal and external stakeholder needs.
- Provide thought-leadership and thematic guidance to TI-S on the issue of land governance and corruption.
- Contribute to day-to-day work implementation, including work planning, budget management, monitoring, and reporting, ensuring that all phases are consistent with the design and delivery schedule and internal processes and procedures.
- Contribute to the overall functioning of the team by providing proactive and ad hoc support where necessary.
In order to succeed in this role, candidates will need to meet the following:
- Masters or equivalent in a relevant field the socials sciences with a focus land governance or a related field, ideally with an academic emphasis on research
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience with a proven record of policy analysis, advocacy, or research in the field of land governance
- Significant experience in producing published advocacy material including policy briefs, research reports, position papers and/or educational content, ideally related to land governance.
- Recognised expertise in on land governance required
- Knowledge and experience of research and evaluation methodologies including survey design, designing/leading focus group discussions required.
- Experience in quantitative research and analysis preferred.
- A strong understanding of regional and international advocacy spaces related to land governance with networks in the international land governance community.
- Significant experience working with civil society organisations in the Sub-Saharan Africa region.
- Demonstrated organisational and project management skills with strong organisational skills and the ability to successfully manage priorities in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
- Solid writing, editing and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently, particularly at distance communication.
- Professional language proficiency in written and spoken English required, working competency in French preferred.
- Proven commitment to social justice issues and the values of Transparency International
WHAT WE OFFER
Joining the Transparency International Secretariat candidates can expect:
- the opportunity to become part of the global movement against corruption and make a positive contribution to the work of TI in the field of transparency and accountability working on a wide range of relevant and challenging issues
- a role with purpose, working in a team of engaged and enthusiastic colleagues experts in the field of anti-corruption and driven and united by the desire to fight corruption and achieve significant and large-scale replicable impact
- an inspiring, stimulating, dynamic, flexible and international working environment with peers representing 45+ different nationalities and Getting Things Done (GTD) approach to work
- a high degree of collaboration and autonomy in a lean and agile organisation with flat hierarchies, streamlined decision-making processes and a shared leadership culture with servant leadership philosophy
- ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual team training allowances to onsite professional development opportunities, including regular Show & Tell meetings, Jours Fixes/Flexes and brown bag lunches with visiting experts
Staff at TI-S enjoy a competitive compensation & benefits package designed for staff well-being and work life balance, incl.:
- a relocation package incl. sponsorship of work permit if needed and financial contribution to German language classes
- generous time off with 30 days of annual leave per year and flexible working times around core hours
- Sodexo Restaurant Checks with plenty of options nearby the office for reduced prices for meals
- selection of fruits and hot drinks, summer and winter parties, and ‚Social Fridays’ with complimentary snacks and drinks
- reduced membership fees with Urban Sports Club
- a centrally located office in a vibrant metropolitan city with excellent public transportation connectivity at the river Spree
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit a CV ad cover letter explaining suitability against the criteria as set out in the candidate profile in English Career Opportunities - Transparency.org clicking on the button ‘Apply Online’.
Closing date for applications is 15.08.2022.
Only applications duly completed and received through the online recruitment system will be considered.
The Transparency International Secretariat is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where diversity is valued and where there is equality of opportunity. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and therefore welcome applications from qualified candidates of all regions, countries, cultures and backgrounds. Existing permission to work in Germany is not a selection criterion and TI-S supports successful candidates in the process for applying for a work permit, if needed. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis and we do not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, colour or ethnic background, religious belief, sex, gender identity and expression or sexual orientation, marital or family status, age or ability. We kindly ask applicants to refrain from including in their application information relating to the above as well as from attaching photos.
Please note that Transparency International does not charge any fees at any stage of its recruitment and selection process (whether at application, processing, testing, interviewing, traveling or otherwise). In addition, TI does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
To learn more about Transparency International please visit our website and follow us on social media: